Sunday, June 13, 2010

A few good books...

Just as soon as I feel I have my reading pile under control, I discover a whole raft of new books to read! Recent additions to my pile include...
Dear Gabriel by Halfdan Friehow
Written in the form of a letter from a father to his young autistic son, this deeply moving book tells of a complex, loving relationship that is sometimes fraught with misunderstanding, but bolstered by unconditional love.


The story of Lily Casey Smith, Jeannette Walls's no nonsense, resourceful, and spectacularly compelling grandmother. A heartwarming story about a truly indomitable woman.
(I'm also eager to read Jeanette Walls memoir The Glass Castle)


This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper
A riotously funny, emotionally raw novel about love, marriage, divorce, family, and the ties that bind - whether we like it or not.

Major Pettigrew's Last Stand by Helen Simonson
When Major Pettigrew, a retired British army major in a small English village, embarks on an unexpected friendship with the widowed Mrs. Ali, who runs the local shop, trouble erupts to disturb the bucolic serenity of the village. This is a beautifully written book - a real pleasure to read.
Life on Gorge River by Robert Long
An inspiring tale of one man’s decision to ‘drop out’ of capitalist society and establish a completely self-sufficient lifestyle most people can’t even imagine. There's a fascinating interview with the author here.


Reading by Moonlight: How Books Saved a Life by Brenda Walker
An account of the author's treatment for breast cancer and how different books and authors helped her through the tumultuous process of recovery. "When I tell myself that books can save a life, I don’t mean that books can postpone death. That is the job of medicine. I mean that certain books, by showing us the inner fullness of individual life, can rescue us from a limited view of ourselves and one another." Thank you Engracia for the recommendation!


What are you reading at present? Do you also have a never ending stack of books you want to read? Do you find regular, and decent periods of time to read? Or, like me do you find you're often snatching small windows here and there?


Images from Amazon, Random House, and Penguins Books Australia.

5 comments:

  1. I just love it when someone recommends a great read. I loved 'Major Pettigrew' - a truly lovely story. Today I picked up the latest Alexander McCall Smith from the library - Corduroy Mansions, set in London. I love his other books so have high hopes for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. half broke horses is great -- make sure you read the glass castle first!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amanda - I've not read an Alexander McCall Smith but have head so many good things about them - I will add one to my list! I'm thoroughly enjoying Major Pettigrew - such a lovely lovely book!
    Sarah (?) - thank you for the tip - I'm thinking these two will move to the top of my list. I'm dying to read both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous collection of books to add to my towering bedside stack. I just grab moments here and there and half an hour before sleep, it is the only way and the reason for my tower.
    Happy reading.
    Engracia
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like you, I have the pile and all of the new discoveries. I am reading several books at the moment. I list them all under "On My Bedside Table" on my blog. Although I'm already into several books, I'm very intrigued by The Lover by Marguerite Duras and I'm going to pick it up from the library today... I also requested The Lovers by Vendela Vida. I'm on the holds list 10/10. It never ends, but I don't really mind.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails